Subscribe to our Daily Digest and receive latest stories every day in your inbox.

Get the Narcity app

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
Happy 2022 — Quebec's Daily COVD-19 Case Count Just Broke Its Highest-Ever Record... Again

New year, same continuous record-breaking numbers for our province. On January 1, Quebec's daily COVID-19 case count saw the highest number we've seen since the start of the pandemic, reporting 17,122 new infections in the past 24 hours.

For the first time, Quebec announced over 17,000 new daily cases. The previous record was broken the day prior when the province reported 16,461 new cases. This marks five days in a row that Quebec has shattered its daily record.

The province had surpassed the 14,000 daily case mark for the first time on December 30. It broke the 13,000 case barrier in its December 29 report and the 12,000 case mark on December 28.

sante_qc | Twitter

Experts have warned, however, that official case counts are likely unreliable in part because of the introduction of rapid at-home testing. Prativa Baral, Epidemiologist and Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health doctoral candidate, told MTL Blog last week that the numbers represent "an undercount." Baral stated, "Our testing capacity is maxed out, so we're not actually seeing what's happening with the case numbers."

As of December 31, Quebec now has a province-wide curfew from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., which the government imposed in hopes of reducing the spread of the virus.

Quebec has already imposed several health measures to curb the spread of the highly-infectious Omicron COVID-19 virus variant. Bars and gyms, among other venues, have been closed since December 20.

Private indoor gatherings are now forbidden, besides with the people in your household.

This article’s cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.

Subscribe to our Daily Digest and receive latest stories every day in your inbox.

Quebec Reported 16,461 New COVID-19 Cases — Another Record

This is the fourth record-breaking day in a row.

As a province-wide curfew comes into effect, Quebec is reporting 16,461 new COVID-19 cases, breaking its record for the fourth day in a row.

Quebec announced that it had surpassed the 14,000 daily case mark for the first time on December 30. It broke the 13,000 case barrier in its December 29 report and the 12,000 case mark on December 28.

Keep Reading Show less

Quebec's New COVID-19 Measures & Curfew Are Set To Begin — Here's What You Need To Know

Grocery stores are expected to be closed on 4 days this month.

Here we go again. Chances are you've heard some of the news from Thursday's press conference: several new COVID-19 measures are coming into effect in Quebec on Friday, December 31 at 5 p.m. — including a curfew and ban on gatherings. So much for those New Year's Eve plans, eh?

"Experts tell us there's a risk that [our hospitals] won't be able to treat all those who need it in the coming weeks. I know we're all tired, but it's my responsibility to protect ourselves from this. [...] I know the restrictions are difficult. I know there's a lot of anxiety. If you're not feeling well, it's important to ask for help. We have to take care of each other. But I still want to wish all Quebecers health and happier news for 2022," said Premier François Legault at the conference.

Keep Reading Show less

Premier François Legault announced a long list of new health rules Thursday aimed at reducing contacts and slowing a meteoric rise in COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations. Among them is the reintroduction of a nightly curfew, the closure of restaurant dining rooms and the closure of most Quebec stores on Sundays.

"We're seeing more and more that there are sectors that, because of the number of people who have COVID-19, can no longer function normally," Legault said at a press conference.

Keep Reading Show less

Quebec Is Closing Restaurant Dining Rooms Once Again

Delivery and takeout will still be allowed.

Say goodbye to your favourite restaurant for a while. As of December 31, Quebec restaurant dining rooms will be closed. Delivery and takeout will still be allowed, though.

Premier François Legault made the announcement at a press conference Thursday.

Keep Reading Show less