Subscribe to our Daily Digest and receive latest stories every day in your inbox.

Get the Narcity app

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
Quebec Is Cancelling Expanded Holiday Gatherings & Limiting Capacity To 10 In Homes

Premier François Legault announced a list of new Quebec health rules in light of a skyrocketing number of new cases. Among the new rules is a cancellation of the province's earlier expansion of private gathering capacity for the holiday season.

While earlier in December Legault announced that Quebecers would be able to host parties with as many as 20 fully-vaccinated people as of December 23, he said Thursday that capacity would remain at 10 people.

The premier still called on Quebecers to exercise caution.

"Even at 10 people, you have to be very careful and do only what is necessary," he said.

Legault explained that the goal in the coming weeks is to reduce contacts in the province by as much as 50%.

The government is also reintroducing 50% capacity limits at stores, restaurants and bars and banning dancing, among other measures.

In addition, officials will begin requiring vaccine passports at places of worship.

These new measures will take effect Monday, December 20.

Quebec reported 2,736 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday, the most in a single day since early January 2021.

On Wednesday, Montreal officials called on the population to exercise extra care in their application of public health advice ahead of the expected continuing increase in case numbers.

"The current situation in Montreal is not really what we were planning or expecting two weeks before Christmas," Regional Public Health Director Dr. Mylène Drouin said.

"I think it commands us to be more agile and resilient facing the Omicron situation."

Subscribe to our Daily Digest and receive latest stories every day in your inbox.

There's An Anti-Curfew Protest Happening In Montreal Tonight

The protest starts at 10 p.m. on Saturday night — the same time curfew begins.

To ring in 2022, Premier François Legault re-imposed a province-wide curfew starting on New Year's Eve. Quebecers are now told to stay in their homes from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. and are subject to a $1000 to $6000 fine if caught outside during these hours unless they meet the government's exemption criteria.

And it seems as though many are not happy to have to undergo yet another curfew in Quebec. So much so that an anti-curfew protest in Montreal is already planned for 10 p.m. on Saturday, January 1, at 770 rue Sherbrooke Ouest.

Keep Reading Show less

Igloofest Montreal 2022 Has Officially Been Cancelled

Guess you'll have to find somewhere else to wear your colourful snowsuit...

Sad news for all music festival lovers in the city. After the announcements of the province-wide curfew, the closure of restaurants, and indoor gatherings being prohibited, it is now the turn of the winter festival Igloofest Montreal 2022 to report its cancellation for this year's edition.

In an Instagram story on December 30, following François Legault's 5 p.m. press conference that day, Igloofest announced that the event usually held in the Old Port of Montreal has indicated that it will not be able to receive festival-goers between January 13 and February 5 due to new health measures.

Keep Reading Show less

Private Gatherings In Quebec: Here's What Is And Isn't Allowed Right Now

Outdoor gatherings are still permitted — for now!

This December 30, it felt as though a massive wave smacked the province as the provincial government announced the arrival of even stricter health measures. In addition to the implementation of the curfew, changes regarding private gatherings in Quebec have been made and come into effect on December 31.

"The vast majority of Quebecers respect the instructions, but there is a minority who do not follow the instructions. Even if private gatherings are prohibited, we know that a minority will party very late. It will be all Quebecers who will suffer the consequences," wrote the Prime Minister in a Facebook post.

Keep Reading Show less

New year, same continuous record-breaking numbers for our province. On January 1, Quebec's daily COVID-19 case count saw the highest number we've seen since the start of the pandemic, reporting 17,122 new infections in the past 24 hours.

For the first time, Quebec announced over 17,000 new daily cases. The previous record was broken the day prior when the province reported 16,461 new cases. This marks five days in a row that Quebec has shattered its daily record.

Keep Reading Show less