Subscribe to our Daily Digest and receive latest stories every day in your inbox.

Get the Narcity app

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
News

Quebec Is Closing Restaurant Dining Rooms Once Again

Delivery and takeout will still be allowed.

Quebec Is Closing Restaurant Dining Rooms Once Again

Say goodbye to your favourite restaurant for a while. As of December 31, Quebec restaurant dining rooms will be closed. Delivery and takeout will still be allowed, though.

Premier François Legault made the announcement at a press conference Thursday.

In addition, the province is imposing a new curfew, from 10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m., which will also take effect on December 31. The last curfew in Quebec lasted for more than four months, from January to May 2021.

Quebec reported 14,188 new COVID-19 infections on December 30, surpassing the 14,000 daily case barrier for the first time and breaking a record set just 24 hours before, when the province reported 13,149 new cases. That record itself was only a day old.

There were also a total of 939 active hospitalizations reported on December 30, a net increase of 135 from the previous day.

The province has already unleashed a sometimes dizzying flurry of new health measures in recent weeks. Bars, gyms and many venues have been closed since December 20. On December 26, Quebec reduced the number of people allowed to gather indoors on private property from 10 to six. Earlier in the month, officials cancelled a plan to increase that number to 20 for the holidays.

The quick succession of new rule announcements demonstrates how rapidly the COVID-19 situation has evolved. As recently as December 16, Premier Legault said that while he wouldn't completely rule out a new curfew, it was not among the measures under immediate consideration.

By December 22, just six days later, officials were reportedly discussing nightly restrictions on travel outside the home.

This article’s cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.

Subscribe to our Daily Digest and receive latest stories every day in your inbox.

Premier François Legault announced a long list of new health rules Thursday aimed at reducing contacts and slowing a meteoric rise in COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations. Among them is the reintroduction of a nightly curfew, the closure of restaurant dining rooms and the closure of most Quebec stores on Sundays.

"We're seeing more and more that there are sectors that, because of the number of people who have COVID-19, can no longer function normally," Legault said at a press conference.

Keep Reading Show less

Quebec Is Officially Getting A Curfew Again

And there will be fines for violating it. Happy New Year!

Cancel your New Year's Eve plans. Quebec's curfew is coming back. Premier François Legault made the announcement at a press conference Thursday.

As of Friday, December 31, Quebecers not on a list of exemptions will have to be in their homes from 10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.

Keep Reading Show less

For the third day in a row, Quebec has broken its record for new COVID-19 cases, reporting 14,188 new infections on December 30. This is the first time the province has surpassed the 14,000 daily case mark. It broke the 13,000 case barrier in its December 29 report and the 12,000 case mark on December 28.

There were 939 total hospitalizations as of December 29, a net increase of 135. 138 people were in intensive care, an increase of 16.

Keep Reading Show less

Premier François Legault will hold a 5:00 p.m. Quebec press conference on Thursday, December 30 as the province grapples with an ever-increasing number of new COVID-19 cases.

Quebec reported 13,149 new infections on December 29 — shattering the previous daily record, 12,833 cases, reported just 24 hours earlier. The record before that, 9,397 cases, was less than a week old.

Keep Reading Show less