Subscribe to our Daily Digest and receive latest stories every day in your inbox.

Get the Narcity app

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
Quebec Is Closing The Gyms Again

In light of a sharp increase in the number of COVID-19 cases, Health Minister Christian Dubé announced a series of restrictions that seem all too familiar. One that's sure to depress your holiday cheer is that the government announced the closure of gyms across the province.

Starting at 5:00 p.m. on Monday, December 20, gyms across the province will shut their doors for the foreseeable future.

"With the increase of cases and hospitalizations, we must put in place new measures," Dubé said in an online press conference on Monday. Spas will also close "with the exception of personal care" services.

Professional and amateur sporting events will be held behind closed doors, without any fans in the stands. The NHL had already postponed a slew of games leading up to January.

Also as of 5:00 p.m. Monday, bars, taverns, casinos, cinemas and concert halls are closing. Restaurants will only be able to open between 5:00 a.m.* and 10:00 p.m.

Telework will be mandatory.

This new list of health rules comes just days after the government announced an initial set of regulations that included 50% capacity limits for bars and many venues. Those rules entered into force on Monday but will be trumped by the new rules taking effect at 5:00 p.m.

The province also cancelled earlier plans to expand private gathering limits for the holidays.

With 4,571 infections confirmed on Monday, Quebec broke a record for COVID-19 cases reported in a single day — and that record was just one day old. The province broke a two-day-old record on Sunday with 3,846 cases, up from 3,768 reported on Friday.

This article’s cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.

This is a developing story. Check back for more details.

*This article has been updated.

Subscribe to our Daily Digest and receive latest stories every day in your inbox.

There's An Anti-Curfew Protest Happening In Montreal Tonight

The protest starts at 10 p.m. on Saturday night — the same time curfew begins.

To ring in 2022, Premier François Legault re-imposed a province-wide curfew starting on New Year's Eve. Quebecers are now told to stay in their homes from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. and are subject to a $1000 to $6000 fine if caught outside during these hours unless they meet the government's exemption criteria.

And it seems as though many are not happy to have to undergo yet another curfew in Quebec. So much so that an anti-curfew protest in Montreal is already planned for 10 p.m. on Saturday, January 1, at 770 rue Sherbrooke Ouest.

Keep Reading Show less

Igloofest Montreal 2022 Has Officially Been Cancelled

Guess you'll have to find somewhere else to wear your colourful snowsuit...

Sad news for all music festival lovers in the city. After the announcements of the province-wide curfew, the closure of restaurants, and indoor gatherings being prohibited, it is now the turn of the winter festival Igloofest Montreal 2022 to report its cancellation for this year's edition.

In an Instagram story on December 30, following François Legault's 5 p.m. press conference that day, Igloofest announced that the event usually held in the Old Port of Montreal has indicated that it will not be able to receive festival-goers between January 13 and February 5 due to new health measures.

Keep Reading Show less

Private Gatherings In Quebec: Here's What Is And Isn't Allowed Right Now

Outdoor gatherings are still permitted — for now!

This December 30, it felt as though a massive wave smacked the province as the provincial government announced the arrival of even stricter health measures. In addition to the implementation of the curfew, changes regarding private gatherings in Quebec have been made and come into effect on December 31.

"The vast majority of Quebecers respect the instructions, but there is a minority who do not follow the instructions. Even if private gatherings are prohibited, we know that a minority will party very late. It will be all Quebecers who will suffer the consequences," wrote the Prime Minister in a Facebook post.

Keep Reading Show less

New year, same continuous record-breaking numbers for our province. On January 1, Quebec's daily COVID-19 case count saw the highest number we've seen since the start of the pandemic, reporting 17,122 new infections in the past 24 hours.

For the first time, Quebec announced over 17,000 new daily cases. The previous record was broken the day prior when the province reported 16,461 new cases. This marks five days in a row that Quebec has shattered its daily record.

Keep Reading Show less